If you want to know about that Types of Dilation then you arrive at the right place let’s start with our main motive.
What does “dilation” mean?
The term dilation can be interpreted from different points of view, in this way, there is no single definition for this process. Now, it is important to explain that these different definitions are established around the use that is going to be given.
For example, a concept can be found for the physiological aspect of the word as well as for the aspect linked to physico-chemistry.
In this way we say that, from physics, the term refers to the increase or increase in the size of a body ; regardless of the direction in which growth is generated. That is, it can be lengthened, widened, increased in volume, or any other metric ratio.
But, the most important thing is that all these types carry out this process by increasing the temperature, which varies depending on the case. This is why all these types can be considered in the first place, of thermal expansion .
Thermal expansion: classification
- Volumetric : refers to the increase in volume of a body as a result of an increase in internal temperature . It is a necessary characteristic that the object has a solid geometric shape and, as expected, volume. The corresponding coefficient in this case (volumetric expansion) and the initial volume of the body must be taken into account for this.
- Superficial: this concept is closely related to that of linear expansion , here too an object increases its size both in length and width , but in this case the fundamental condition must be fulfilled that the element to be transformed must be a flat surface . This type will depend mainly on the initial area that the body involves; and it will be interrelated with the coefficient of surface expansion.
- Linear: during this process, the affected body increases its size in only one direction , either in length or width. There is no specific condition necessary for the dilation to be classified within this type, and in turn, it can be linear and of another type named in this article. In this case, the coefficient used is called: coefficient of linear expansion; and the determining factor is going to be the initial length of the element.
- Of the water : this constitutes the exception to the normal operation of the expansion of the liquids (that they contract diminishing their size when they expand); When the water elaborates this process at more than four degrees Celsius, it increases in size and solidifies . This is how, for example, iceberg formation and other freezing phenomena occur.
On the other hand, if we define it from the point of view of physiology, it is the increase in size of an organ or system of the human body as a result of a change in the physiological order (hormonal, body fluids, etc.).
In this way, as many types of dilations as there are organs can be found; but we will proceed here to mention some of which are considered the most common in medicine.
- In labor : as its name says; This implies the widening of the so-called birth canal , that is, the canal formed by different organs (of the female body) through which the baby passes at birth. In this case, there are a series of pre-established measures that indicate the proximity of the birth, and others that must be achieved in order to give birth (approximately ten centimeters).
- Pupils : as might be expected, it is an increase in the diameter of the pupils (a fundamental part of the eye). Sometimes this can be generated chemically through the application of drops directly into the eye, in order to be able to carry out certain ophthalmological studies, such as the one known as fundus. but it should be clarified that this may be the consequence of some factor of the pathological order, or it may appear as a symptom of a pathology.
A dilation that creates a larger image is called an enlargement. A dilation that creates a smaller image is called a reduction. A dilation stretches or shrinks the original figure.
A reduction (think shrinking) is a dilation that creates a smaller image, and an enlargement (think stretch) is a dilation that creates a larger image. If the scale factor is between 0 and 1 the image is a reduction. If the scale factor is greater than 1, the image is an enlargement
Perform a Dilation of 4 on point A (2, 3) which you can see in the picture below. Multiply the coordinates of the original point (2, 3), called the image, by 4. Image’s coordinates = (2 * 4, 3 * 4) to get the coordinates of the image (8, 12).
Reference: dilation In Cuemath
We hope you found your answer here. If you face or find any issue or any other mistake then please immediately tell us so that we can correct them. Thanks!